Tapology Forums

How Often Should a UFC Fighter Fight a Year?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

06.02.2012 | 4:56 PM ET

Is it my imagination, or do the guys fight less now than a few years ago?  It seems that most guys fight twice a year.  
I don't know about anyone else, but that feels too infrequent to me.  Only fighting twice a year doesn't allow for much comparisons.  I wished they could fight 3 times a year, at the minimum.

If a training camp is 8 weeks, and they fight twice a year, that leaves most of the year empty.

On the way up, fighters sometimes fight 4 times a year.  But when one becomes champion, they make a lot more money.  Maybe $1M per title defense.  So, when you're making $1M per fight, you don't have to fight too often to live great.  And maybe you don't want to risk your title, either.

So, champions often fight no more than twice a year, and the UFC has problems determining who gets title shots.

How often do you think that healthy fighters should fight per year?

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Responses

Dakej
Dakej
  • Predictions:  2,722  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,066
  • Post Score: 201

06.02.2012 | 4:58 PM ET

At least 3 times, and if you're the champ you should defend as often as you can.  You have a few years in your physical prime to be at the top of the sport and I think you should compete as often as you safely can.
Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,305  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

06.02.2012 | 4:59 PM ET

I think at the minimum 2...Ideally 3-4

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

06.02.2012 | 5:02 PM ET

2-3 is good. Maybe 4.

"الله أكبرl"

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

06.02.2012 | 5:04 PM ET

^^^^What they said barring injuries.

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

prophecy033
prophecy033
  • Predictions:  4,837  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  204
  • Post Score: 231

06.02.2012 | 5:39 PM ET

every 3-4 months, more if they had a quick previous fight win

"Understand your limitations and you will see your Strengths"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

06.02.2012 | 7:10 PM ET

I think the answer to that question is all individual.  Some fighters are healthy enough to fight 5-6 times a year, regardless of the type of fight they had (barring medical suspensions).  I think on average, 3 times a year is acceptable.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

06.02.2012 | 10:05 PM ET

3-5 would be great for the fans, but at the higher levels they SHOULD be getting injuries, no?
Kalibo
Kalibo

06.02.2012 | 10:08 PM ET

Should be getting injuries?  Everyone gets "hurt"..... long camps.. tough training.. then the fight... but "should being getting injuries"?  I don't like what that implies. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

06.02.2012 | 10:11 PM ET

I only mean, that if you train at that level and then fight at that level, law of averages says you should statistically be facing injuries that keep you from fight at an amateur pace. No mal intent.

* Edited at 06.02.2012, 10:11 PM ET *

icantdelete
icantdelete
  • Predictions:  1,877  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  36
  • Post Score: 158

06.02.2012 | 10:13 PM ET

three to four would be prime if ur winning.  at least six months after a loss 

"whos next! "

ufcchick2011
ufcchick2011
  • Predictions:  17,099  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,674
  • Post Score: 177

06.02.2012 | 10:14 PM ET

Jon Jones fights every 4 months while GSP only fights twice a year (not this year)....Just depends  on the fighter and how much damage they intake during the fight/ during training.. 

"The only way to guarantee failure is by giving up" Frank Mir

Kalibo
Kalibo

06.02.2012 | 10:26 PM ET

@Judo.. I probably vocalized that wrong...  I know you have no mal intent.  I guess, I call what you're talking about "getting hurt"... I call injuries things that keep you out of training 6 weeks or more (broken bones, etc..).  Everyone is going to get hurt.. may need a week to recover.. that is what I meant.  The hope is that no one ever gets injured... that is why the word "should" I didn't like.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.03.2012 | 1:15 AM ET

3 times a year would be good for fans, maybe 4 times if their fights end early and they sustain minimal damage.

StickmanAndrw
StickmanAndrw
  • Predictions:  5,405  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,146
  • Post Score: 141

06.03.2012 | 9:37 AM ET

Definitely 3-4 times a year, although age and injuries can and always will have a factor.  There's a reason Anderson Silva doesn't fight as often as he used to, (and Chael can say whatever he wants to, it's not because Silva was ducking him).    

Jon Jones fights a ton, but again, he's only 24, his body recovers so much more quickly than someone who's 34 (not to mention Jones has completely owned damn near every single person he's ever fought).  Once he's older, he won't fight as much either.

But yeah, last time I checked, these guys are fighters, soooooo they should fight when they can.   I love Carlos Condit, but I hate that he's willingly sitting out and costing himself a nice paycheck and the UFC a potential huge PPV by not competing till GSP returns, even though I completely understand why he's doing it and would have to seriously consider it myself. (although that solution is simple enough in theory, quit promising fighters a guaranteed title shot, make them keep fighting and don't tell them anything until it's their turn for a title shot)

"I can't think of anything witty to say at the moment..."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

06.03.2012 | 10:55 AM ET

It appears the house is in consensus that fighters should at least try to fight 3 times a year and possibly a 4th time if they are healthy, their fights end somewhat early and they sustain minimum damage.  And the younger guys do recover faster.  Their bodies are more resilient.  

These guys are in fantastic condition, and don't necessarily 'need' months in-between fights.  The early UFC fighters fought multiple times in tournaments.  And they still fought well.  And I do also realize that today, we have medical suspensions.  But most of them are a month or so.  

So, if a fighter is in top condition, fights 1 round, sustains little damage, there is no reason to wait 6 months to fight again.  Most of the wasted time is finding another opponent and signing a contract.  Why waste 2 months to accept another fight??  THAT'S where much time is wasted and lost!!!

How many fighters right now are healthy but have no fight on their calendars??  It's the politics of accepting fights that's the real culprit here, as far as I can see.

Such a waste.

* Edited at 06.03.2012, 10:58 AM ET *

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Talks About The Possibility Of A Women’s Division At Next CJI
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 305 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMAFighting.com : DWCS Results: Season 8, Week 2
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Izzy Denies Holloway Copycat Point — ‘Commentary Booth Got It Wrong!’
  • MMA Junkie : Dan Hooker says UFC wants Charles Oliveira next for him: 'That's a good fight, but there's heaps of cool sh*t'
  • MMA Mania : UFC Wants Hooker Vs. Oliveira Next ... But Arman’s ‘A Pr*ck’
  • Middle Easy : Jake Pauls Jabs Mike Tyson For Postponing Boxing Match: ‘You Had To Go On Your Little Menopause’
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jan Blachowicz Can’t See Israel Adesanya Moving to 205 Following Latest Loss, Reveals Who He Wants to Fight in UFC Return
  • Bad Left Hook : Stevenson vs Cordina reportedly set for Oct. 12 Bivol vs Beterbiev undercard
  • Bad Left Hook : Shakur Stevenson vs Joe Cordina reportedly set for Oct. 12 Bivol vs Beterbiev undercard
  • MMA Junkie : Valter Walker infuriated by Junior Tafa's post-fight cheap shot slap after submission loss at UFC 305
  • MMA Mania : ‘I’ll Retire Jones Without Even Fighting Him’
  • MMA Junkie : Song Kenan explains why he didn't go after Ricky Glenn's kangaroo-sized hematoma in Australia
  • MMAFighting.com : Mackenzie Dern vs. Amanda Ribas 2 targeted for UFC Tampa on Dec. 14
  • MMA Junkie : Mackenzie Dern vs. Amanda Ribas rematch booked for UFC Fight Night on December 14
  • MMA Junkie : PFL finalist Impa Kasanganay not a fan of Josh Silveira's approach: 'An insult to his dad and his team'
  • MMA Mania : Till ‘Might Come Back, Beat DDP, And Leave Again’
  • Middle Easy : (Exclusive) Jan Blachowicz Reacts To Alex Pereira’s Next Title Fight: ‘Why Don’t They Ask Me?’
  • MMA Junkie : Dricus Du Plessis' coach hopes Alex Pereira fight can happen in December: 'We'll just go up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Judge overturns verdict, rules for Manny Pacquiao against agency that also represents Conor McGregor