Topic: Dan Henderson

If Dan Henderson beats Jon Jones...

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

04.24.2012 | 3:45 AM ET

Is he the G.O.A.T?
If he beats Jon Jones that will mean he held the Strikeforce LHW belt, the PRIDE MW and WW belts at the same time, he was the 2005 WW GP champion and he won the UFC 17 MW tournament and he would be UFC LHW champion. He has never been knocked out or TKO'd and has beat some of the beats fighters in the HW, LHW and MW divisions.
In my opinion he is already the greatest Mixed Martial Artist of all time but if he beats Jon Jones do you guys think he should rank above the likes of Anderson Silva, Fedor and GSP?

"Is reality really realistic?"

Dan "Hendo" Henderson

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Daniel Jeffery Henderson
  • Pro MMA Record: 32-15-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Hendo
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: October 08, 2016 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Middleweight | Last Weigh-In: 184.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Team Quest
  • Height: 5'11" (180cm) | Reach: 74.0" (188cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,780,000 USD
  • Born: Downey, California, United States
  • Fighting out of: Temecula, California
  • College: Arizona State University
  • Foundation Style: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

04.24.2012 | 4:17 AM ET

I think he is the G.O.A.T right now. Thumbs me down, I don't care. He has done x10 more than Randy Couture and that guy gets x10 the praise Henderson does.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

wilflet
wilflet
  • Predictions:  8,201  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,413
  • Post Score: 228

04.24.2012 | 6:27 AM ET

but if trt is becoming the norm, goat or not he'll soon be eclipsed as everyone will fight well into their forties and get several title runs.
if he aged as nature intended that list would be shortened to 'pride legend'

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,575
  • Post Score: 275

04.24.2012 | 7:26 AM ET

10x more than randy couture?  except for winning like 150 UFC title fights.

"I live, I die, I live again."

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

04.24.2012 | 10:30 AM ET

No bomar, Henderson is not the GOAT, nor will he ever be. And he has about as much of a chance to beat Jones that I do. 
geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

04.24.2012 | 10:39 AM ET

GOAT?...Naa.  Top 5 GOAT....Absolutely!

And I agree with messiah on his chances of beating Jones. Slim to none.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

04.24.2012 | 11:14 AM ET

Even if Hendo was fast enough he still wouldn't have the reach to pull it off. Hendo is great but he lost to Jake Shields after he almost knocked him out. We're talking about a guy that has fought HWs half his career losing to a guy that in the WW divison currently. That tarnishes GOAT talk for me if nothing else does. Maybe if we added age bracket catergories, but even then Randy wins out.
Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,722  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

04.24.2012 | 12:22 PM ET

hendo is awesome.  Im a huge fan and he will always be in my goat list.  If he beats jones it will be incredible.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

RazelThePhoenix
RazelThePhoenix
  • Predictions:  1,019  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  122
  • Post Score: 109

04.24.2012 | 12:42 PM ET

hendo has a pretty good chance to beat jbj because he has hard hands a great chin, great wrestling (not the best), if he can keep this fight standing than he has a good chance to knock jbj out, i mean Rashad has hard hands and he hit jbj hard enough to make him stagger back, jbj is afraid of getting hit, he uses his range perfectly to not have to get hit when he doesn't want to. 
wilflet
wilflet
  • Predictions:  8,201  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,413
  • Post Score: 228

04.24.2012 | 1:04 PM ET

i just dont see him being able to land it, bones will pick him apart from too far away, then by the 4th when hendo gases bones can have his way with him

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

jmcdowell
jmcdowell
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  450
  • Post Score: 188

04.24.2012 | 1:11 PM ET

I agree with Nik - Hendo doesn't get near the attention he deserves.

Rashad was able to get inside (if only for a split second) on Jones a few times - if Hendo can do the same *Lights Out*

"“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious” - Lombardi"

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

04.24.2012 | 1:13 PM ET

@Gregorino 

Randy is 19-11, and has wins over : Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, Vitor Belfort x2, Rizzo

Dan Henderson is 29-8, and has wins over : Big Nog, Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva, Rich Franklin, Michael Bisping, Fedor, Shogun.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,575
  • Post Score: 275

04.24.2012 | 1:21 PM ET

well that's a bit of an oversimplification

"I live, I die, I live again."

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

04.24.2012 | 1:26 PM ET

Well cmon UFC easnt even a real organization untill 99-2000. Couture is good, but he was hand fed title shots.

DelRose
DelRose

04.24.2012 | 2:46 PM ET

Fedor? Yes x1000. Anderson silva and GSP? No.

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris

04.24.2012 | 3:23 PM ET

I think that if you look at championships won Dan Henderson is the GOAT without question, I also think that if you look at the competition he has beaten no one even comes close to him.
  • Anderson Silva's only big organization championship is with the UFC and yes he has defended it something like 11 times but many of the people he fought weren't all that great to begin with. Yes he has win over Dan Henderson, Chael Sonnen, Rick Franklin and Nate Marquardt but his other wins are against people like Patrick Cote, Damian Main (and no disrespect to Main his BJJ is amazing but he is not a top level Mixed Martial Artist) Travis Lutter, Thales Laites and Vitor Belfort who did nothing to earn a title fight.
  • GSP again his only major title held is in the UFC and although he may be the greatest WW of all time I don't think his competition has be on the same level as Hendo's either.
  • Randy Couture is the only man to ever hold UFC LHW and HW titles but I think he record kinda speaks for itself. He is 19 - 11 and although he is one of the most well respected fighters in MMA history, was one of the forefathers of MMA I don't feel as though he ever fought on a level like Dan Henderson, GSP, etc.
  • Dan Henderson is the only fighter to ever hold two belts in a major MMA organization at the same time, he is the only fighter to hold belts in both Strikeforce and PRIDE. He has wins over arguably the two greatest HW's of all time in Fedor and Big Nog he has wins over some of the greatest LHW's of all time in Shogun, Wanderlei Silva, he has wins over one of the greates MW's of all time in Rich Franklin and he has beaten countless other top fighters. He is the first and only man to ever knock out Bisping, and he has wins over guys like Palhares, Cavalcante, Sobral x2, and countless other legends of PRIDE. And IF he beats Jon Jones in my book he will go down as the greatest fighter in MMA history. In my opinion his record, the opponents he has defeated and the titles he held already put him as the GOAT and if you guys disagree I understand but I don't think anyone in MMA will EVER has the career he has especially if he can defeat Jon Jones.

CaptainSuperman
CaptainSuperman
  • Predictions:  296  |  57.1%
  • Forum Posts:  315
  • Post Score: 139

04.24.2012 | 3:57 PM ET

Hendo is great. Don't get me wrong. But he is not above Silva, GSP, or Fedor in terms of All Time. He has NEVER defended a title. Never. Yes, if you look at his record like a schedule, he has one of the toughest ones out there, along with Wandy and Big Nog, but it's GSP's consistent domination, along with Fedor and Silva's unheard of streaks which make them so great. 

Dan is the bottom of the elite, and I think he showed that when he dropped both of his titles in back to back fights against Rampage and Silva. I think he showed that in his loss to Shields. If Dan isn't already considered the GOAT, why would beating Jones cement that? If it really is "To Be The Man, You Gotta Beat The Man", what about Silva who already has a legacy of his own, along with a win over "The Man" Hendo?  

"I'll kill you! I'll kill you to death!"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris

04.24.2012 | 4:21 PM ET

@captain well you kinda contradicted yourself there because you said that Fedor is above Dan on the GOAT list but Dan Beat him? Just cause someone beat someone doesn't mean they are a better all time fighter than the other person. I mean Valintijin Overeem beat Randy Couture but is he better? No not by any means.
yes Dan Henderson has had his losses in his career but I don't think losing to the number one MW and LHW at the time take anything away from his career as a whole.
Dan Henderson may not have the winning streak of guys like Fedor, GSP or Silva but what he lacks there he makes up for with all the championships he has held (in my opinion) I think if you really look at it he has beat better competition than alomost any other person is the sport. And if he beats Jon Jones that will mean he has held 4 different championships in 3 different major organizations along with two tournament wins also in the same major organizations.
I can understand the claim of GSP or Anderson being the GOAT but I feel that if you really sit down and look at is Henderson has beat better guys, won more championships and just overall has better credentialsthan anyone else that has ever competed in MMA. 

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

04.24.2012 | 4:45 PM ET

@justynbomar Bomar, I think you said it perfect. Anderson Silva "has wins over Dan Henderson...". That's kinda why Dan can't be the GOAT.

@Nik Lust "He has done x10 more than Randy Couture and that guy gets x10 the praise Henderson does." Hendo's testosterone levels are also 10 times more than his, just throwing that one out there.

@theMMAmessiah Well said. Henderson has as much of a chance of beating Jon Jones as I do. Or messiah.

Time for my rant, and in the wise words of Nik Lust; "Thumbs me down, I don't care":

Dan Henderson is not the greatest, nor will ever be the greatest. In the man's prime (which is already pretty late for an athlete), he lost to Lil' Nog, Kazuo Misaki, Rampage Jackson and Anderson Silva. Not only has the man lost way too much, he's a cheater and you cannot deny that. Say what you will about TRT, it's a performance-enhancement and is the sole reason why Hendo is still fighting. I don't know when Hendo started using TRT so let's just assume it was after the Anderson Silva loss. Cut out every fight since that, and where does Hendo stand in MMA history? Another key to be the greatest ever, is dominance. You have to be the best in the world at what you do at the time, and when has Dan Henderson ever been the be all end all best on the planet? Never. Yes he's beaten great opposition in many weight classes including an undersized fat heavyweight in his career decline and I would agree that Dan Henderson is great. Even elite. But he never was the best on the planet, which is why he can't ever be the best ever. Anderson Silva, Georges St-Pierre, Fedor Emelianenko, Chuck Liddell, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes and Royce Gracie all deserve more consideration for the greatest ever than that cheater.

"الله أكبرl"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris

04.24.2012 | 4:50 PM ET

@anik well Yushin beat Anderson as did Ryo Chonan so by your logic Silva can't be the GOAT either nor can GSP because he lost to Hughes and Serra and Jon Jones can't because he 'lost' to Hamill.
And Dan Henderson has NEVER once been caught for high levels of testosterone or steroids or anything like that so why do you insist on throwing that out there?

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

04.24.2012 | 4:56 PM ET

Its all about competition, Anik. Henderson has had and beaten better competition than Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell, Bj Penn and arguably Fedor. Dominent? Hendo would be dominent too if he had Matt Hughes and Liddells opponents relative to weight. Hendo has beaten the best and fought the best at 3 different weight classes. 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Alexa Grasso, Valentina Shevchenko look forward to new blood after UFC 306 trilogy is complete
  • MMA Junkie : Vicente Luque: Leon Edwards has 'great wrestling cardio,' more versatile striking than Belal Muhammad
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA and boxing action June 7-9
  • MMA Mania : ‘Badass’ Diaz ‘Was Looking F—king Good’ Against Lawler
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57's Dominick Reyes: 'I have the pedigree to get me back to the top'
  • MMA Mania : McGregor ‘More Interesting’ Than Tsarukyan For Makhachev
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz reacts to press conference brawl, nearly gets into another melee with Jorge Masvidal’s team
  • MMA Junkie : Raw video: Khabib predicts title, urges Johnson to quit mid-fight and more UFC legendary moments without commentary
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Claims Khabib Would Be UFC Champ ‘Right Now’, How He Compares To Islam Makhachev
  • MMAFighting.com : Kade Ruotolo bringing different level of grappling to MMA: ‘I’m not sure if the MMA world is ready for it’
  • Bad Left Hook : WBC orders Vargas vs Figueroa title consolidation
  • MMA Mania : Brawl! Team Masvidal And Team Diaz Come To Blows
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz, Jorge Masvidal press conference erupts into wild brawl
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Jorge Masvidal in middle of wild brawl after Nate Diaz refused another press conference faceoff
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan: Version of Islam Makhachev at UFC 302 'would be very easy fight for me'
  • MMA Junkie : T.J. Dillashaw thinks Cory Sandhagen will be UFC champ if he tops Umar Nurmagomedov
  • MMA Mania : UFC Fans ‘Feel Sorry’ For ‘Desperate’ Darren Till
  • Middle Easy : ‘Fake Little B*tch’ Sean Strickland Snaps Back at Luke Rockhold: ‘I’ll F*ck You Up For Fun’
  • Bad Left Hook : Ayala vs Apolinario vacant title fight reportedly set for Aug. 9
  • Bad Left Hook : Angel Ayala vs Dave Apolinario vacant title fight reportedly set for Aug. 9