Tapology Forums

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A CHANCE TO BEAT MR.BONES!! ANY FIGHTER POUND FOR POUND

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

teaksmma
teaksmma
  • Predictions:  76  |  55.3%
  • Forum Posts:  71
  • Post Score: 130

02.07.2012 | 7:23 PM ET

With Rashad having his chance against Johnny BONES finally on the way would this be the ending to the "BONES ERA" ??

With so many fighters looking as exciting from other weight classes is there anyone really out there to dismantle

the LHW champs crown?

-Any weight class 

-Any orginisation

"Tap ill snap!!" - Rousimar Palhares

Responses Page 2

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

02.07.2012 | 10:18 PM ET

In the HW Division there are several guys who can beat Jones, pretty much what ppl have already said, Cain, JDS, Overeem would break his legs like toothpicks, probaly Werdum and Big Nog, in LHW I truly believe the best men to beat him are Machida and Shogun, I know I'll get some thumbs down  for saying this, but both fighters are smart, well rounded and are good strikers, I believe they'll make a diffrente/better gameplan and both have the tools to get the job done. Gustaffson in a couple of years maybe. 

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

teaksmma
teaksmma

02.07.2012 | 10:19 PM ET

in a couple more fights and show more of his ****ch game Alex Gustafsson wouldnt go to bad

Hybrid
Hybrid
  • Predictions:  158  |  57.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,437
  • Post Score: 236

02.07.2012 | 10:22 PM ET

@greg It's hard to argue that his reach, speed, and strength aren't a monstrous part of his success. He leaves himself open for shots very often, but he was so far away from the other fighter that his speed allows him to escape. If he fights somebody like JDS, somebody who's basically as fast but hits like a truck, than his striking will get him killed. He's got amazing wrestling but it'd be significantly less successful on guys that are bigger than him. Not to mention that his little chicken legs would snap in half from a leg kick by a HW.

"History boils down to a few really awesome people doing really awesome stuff, and a bunch of idiots messing it up for everyone else."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,575
  • Post Score: 275

02.07.2012 | 10:24 PM ET

we'll see.  i've got jones as HW champ within 3 years.

"I live, I die, I live again."

teaksmma
teaksmma

02.07.2012 | 10:28 PM ET

Jones would have to work on his striking alot more to compete in HW

Gregory
Gregory

02.07.2012 | 10:36 PM ET

Well, not really in my opinion.  Obviously he's working on it regardless, though.

The seemingly magical barrier that exists between light heavyweight and heavyweight is not for real.  It's only 10-15 pounds.

teaksmma
teaksmma

02.07.2012 | 10:40 PM ET

True it would make some interesting fights though with LHW and HW fighters

Cain could drop easily to L

teaksmma
teaksmma

02.07.2012 | 10:41 PM ET

Cain could drop to LHW easily and give jones a run imaginary thinking though

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,447  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

02.07.2012 | 10:44 PM ET

LHW .. I dont know

But once he goes to HW, Im sure Cain will give him a nice welcome ahaha.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

02.07.2012 | 10:45 PM ET

Not in LHW, and honestly I think there are only 2 or 3 HW that could beat him.

"Frig off, bud"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

02.07.2012 | 10:53 PM ET

@Greg

wow thats bold. I think that's gonna be very very difficult to achieve (and i'm saying way more than the usual for becoming the champ), sure Jones is very well rounded and has serious skills, but so far his size, reach and speed is a big part of his success (does anyone really think that if he was the size and reach as the average LHW he would be just as succesfull,  he ceartanly still be very good, but he wouldn't enjoy the advantages he has and that would put him in greater danger of getting ko'd) but in HW he wouldn't have those advantages, sure he still has a good size and reach even for a HW, but he lacks power, mass and probably chin, he would need an epic transformation, just like Overeem, but that will make him slower, and probably affect his cardio also, and you still have to struggle with the chin.  I'm not saying that he would be a bad fighter in HW, I just don't think he will be the champ.. Only time will tell

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

02.07.2012 | 11:01 PM ET

Nobody at MW or LHW. At HW, there's Mir, Werdum, Overeem, and JDS. I don't know about Cain yet, I need to see him fight again after the rotator cuff injury. I'm not sure about any body else.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

viper9241
viper9241
  • Predictions:  233  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  21
  • Post Score: 124

02.08.2012 | 1:11 PM ET

No one in LHW right now will be able to beat Jon Jones, hes got too much technique as well as reach and conditioning plus he absorbs new things like a sponge. Hes 23 years old so hes not even in his prime yet. Hes gonna be around for awhile

"Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. -Bruce Lee"

norbar
norbar
  • Predictions:  2,367  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  473
  • Post Score: 129

02.08.2012 | 1:17 PM ET

I'm suprised ppl suggest he would beat most hw's easily. He is defo skilled but his flashiness comes from reach (try to be flashy with shor reach and you get KO'd) and in the worst case (Machida) he can go into guard and pummel you there thanks to height and reach advantage. It won't be that significant at hw. 

Also I would really want to see Nelson vs Jones. Good BJJ + a chin made from space granite could make Roy last quite long with Jones.

"“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” ― Oscar Wilde"

Irphil47
Irphil47
  • Predictions:  662  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6
  • Post Score: -67

02.08.2012 | 4:12 PM ET

Jones will clean out the light heavyweight div. I don't see anyone being able to stop him. I was impressed with Rashad's grappling against Davis, but I don't think he will be able to hold Jones down, or even get him down to the ground. Jones was the only person to ever out muay thai Shogun so badly, the only person to ever finish and submit Rampage inside the UFC, and then knocked down Lyoto, one of the most technically evasive fighters of all time, and then handed him his first submission loss. With all that in mind, I can easily see Jones using his superior reach to strike Evans, then get him down to the ground, and getting the finish via TKO or submission.
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

02.08.2012 | 4:23 PM ET

Bones is like Anthony Johnson, Gray Maynard and Gleison Tibau, a big reason as to why he wins so much is because of his size. If he were to go to the HW division, his reach and size advantages would not be as ... advantageous. 

"الله أكبرl"

Russello
Russello
  • Predictions:  6,288  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,839
  • Post Score: 279

02.08.2012 | 4:31 PM ET

Bones isnt QUITE like Johnson, I mean, he can actually make weight.

"In the quiet words of the virgin Mary.. come again?"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

02.08.2012 | 4:33 PM ET

I said Tibau and Maynard too, didn't I?

"الله أكبرl"

Gregory
Gregory

02.08.2012 | 4:39 PM ET

It's not just his size. He's extraordinarily talented, creative, and fast-thinking.  

Remember when Anderson Silva came to LHW?  a) he didn't look small, and b) he obliterated Forrest (and Irvin).  The point is not that Jones comparable to Anderson.  The point is that the difference between MW-LHW is no different than the difference between LHW-HW.  Jones isn't going to look like some little kid in there against men. They'll look similar-sized.  (and, Jones will still have a longer reach than any of them).

Russello
Russello
  • Predictions:  6,288  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,839
  • Post Score: 279

02.08.2012 | 4:49 PM ET

@Gregory, Except his inferior calf muscles. For the amazing fighter that Jones is, his calf muscles leave much to be desired.

"In the quiet words of the virgin Mary.. come again?"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Dana White Refuses To Hail Islam Makhachev No. 1 P4P Over Jon Jones; Islam, ‘Bones’ Respond
  • MMA Junkie : No surprise: Jon Jones stands by Dana White's claim he's MMA's all-time P4P great
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White rips judge scoring fight for Paulo Costa at UFC 302: ‘It was f*cking nuts’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev prefers UFC welterweight title shot over Arman Tsarukyan: 'It does not make sense when you have rematch'
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier explains what went wrong against Islam Makhachev and where he goes from here
  • MMA Junkie : Dustin Poirier reacts to UFC 302 loss, ponders future: 'What else am I fighting for?'
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Islam Makhachev's $42,000 tops card
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White rejects Islam Makhachev as No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter after UFC 302, Jon Jones responds
  • MMA Mania : Video! Watch Nurmagomedov Get Kicked Out Of UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : ‘Kick Him Back Down To The Minor Leagues’
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for June 4-8
  • MMA Mania : White Left Speechless About Tyson Cancelation: ‘I Know A Lot About It’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 post-fight show: Reaction to Islam Makhachev’s dramatic war with Dustin Poirier
  • MMA Mania : ‘For Anybody To Call Islam The Pound-For-Pound Best Fighter In The World When Jon Jones Is Still F—king Fighting Is Nuts’
  • MMA Mania : Sooo ... About Last Night
  • MMA Mania : ‘He Can Stay Around Here For As Long As He Wants To’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 2024 post-fight bonus winners: Inside the numbers
  • UFC.com : Bonus Coverage | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Think This Could Be It’