Topic: Randy Couture

Couture: Fighters need rights - there will be a fight

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

04.21.2011 | 12:45 PM ET

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/1342/couture-zuffa-fighters-can-have-meeting-of-minds

There’s going to be a battle,” Couture told ESPN.com. “I’d rather sit down with the UFC, [president] Dana White and [CEO] Lorenzo Fertitta and figure out a way to implement some things with their blessing.” 

According to Couture, fighters are still being deprived of a few fundamental rights, which if rectified would only help the legitimacy of the sport. 

“Health insurance for fighters when they’re not competing is a huge issue,” Couture said. “There are a few fighters who could call up the UFC and say, ‘Look, I need some help, I blew out my knee in practice,’ and the UFC is going to help them. They’ve been generous but they can’t do that with everyone. There are over 200 fighters. 

“How about a retirement plan of some sort? Or at least educate these guys on how to take care of their money. How many MMA stars, five or six years from now, are going to be broke and destitute? We’ve seen that in boxing, and it’s a shame. An absolute shame.” 

Couture has had his own grievances with the UFC during a 14-year professional fighting career, but said he doesn’t blame Zuffa for the fighters’ issues still present in the sport, nor does he necessarily look at the formation of a fighters union as an end-all, be-all solution. 

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

Randy "The Natural" Couture

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Randy Duane Couture
  • Pro MMA Record: 19-11-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Natural
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: April 30, 2011 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Light Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 203.5 lbs
  • Affiliation: Xtreme Couture
  • Height: 6'1" (186cm) | Reach: 75.0" (191cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,720,000 USD
  • Born: Everett, Washington, United States
  • Fighting out of: Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

mmAPR0digy
mmAPR0digy
  • Predictions:  13,158  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,307
  • Post Score: 144

04.21.2011 | 2:15 PM ET

I couldn't help but to think about the CBA in the NFL right now.  Those are huge issues and they need to be rectified somehow; especially the Health Insurance.

"I just want to be known as the best ever, is that too much to ask? - BJ Penn"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.21.2011 | 4:47 PM ET

Yeah.. I missed this thread somehow.  This topic is very important.. Liddel will realize that in about 10 years when things start going fuzzy.  I read that Terry Bradshaw is being replaced on his show as an NFL analysist b/c he is having trouble now concentrating... things like this could easily pop up within the next decade as the sport is huge right now (MMA).  Something needs to be done now to protect the fighters now and, imo, more importantly the fighters who are retiring now.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Alex Pereira Insists $50K Grappling Challenge To Anthony Smith Is ‘Real’, Says He’ll Use Money To ‘Buy Food For People In Need’
  • MMA Junkie : Angela Hill vs. Luana Pinheiro prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC Fight Night 241
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor, UFC Fighters Didn’t Make Forbes Top 50 Highest-Paid Athletes In The World
  • MMA Junkie : Adrian Yanez vs. Vinicius Salvador prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC Fight Night 241
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury ‘over the moon’ for Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul, says only ‘jealous people’ hate it
  • Bad Left Hook : Fury vs Usyk: Live updates and results NOW!
  • MMA Mania : Barboza Vs. Murphy Betting Odds, Prediction
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith Thinks Khamzat Chimaev Can Only Beat ‘Anybody Across Any Weight Class’ In ‘First Round’
  • MMA Junkie : DraftKings Promo Code | Bet $5, Get $150 Bonus for NBA Playoffs, UFC Fight Night & More
  • MMA Junkie : Ramiz Brahimaj vs. Themba Gorimbo prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC Fight Night 241
  • MMAFighting.com : Luana Pinheiro praises ‘fearless’ Angela Hill’s survival skills ahead of UFC Vegas 92
  • MMA Mania : Fury Vs. Usyk Start Time, Full Fight Card Details
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Says Conor McGregor’s ‘Puncher’s Chance’ Isn’t True, Predicts Michael Chandler Will Beat ‘Notorious’
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92 Start time, Full Fight Card Details
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC Fight Night: Barboza vs Murphy
  • MMA Junkie : Khaos Williams vs. Carlston Harris prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC Fight Night 241
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Watch Official ‘Fury Vs. Usyk’ Video Stream
  • MMA Junkie : Edson Barboza vs. Lerone Murphy prediction, pick: Will "The Miracle" suffer his first career loss?
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury’s promoter addresses what comes next: Oleksandr Usyk rematch or Anthony Joshua?
  • MMA Mania : How To Stream Fury Vs. Usyk PPV Card